DaBestDay.com – Best Photo Scanners: A photo scanner is a tool that can change the format of a photo from negative film or print to digital form. If you want to tidy up old photos or want to upload them to social media, photo scanners will be very helpful.
Many types can be found, such as scanners that can scan negative film, printed photos, and so on. We will share how to choose a photo scanner along with product recommendations. There are also several good photo scanner brands, such as Epson, Canon, and Plustek.
This article has been reviewed by our software engineer, Yosua Surojo. Check out this article to the end, ok!
Collaborate With Experts: How to Choose a Photo Scanner
Before introducing recommended products, we will explain how to choose a photo scanner first. Come on, listen!
① Choose according to usage needs
Broadly speaking, photo scanners are divided into three types as below. Apart from considering function and price, choose a photo scanner that suits your needs.
Negative film scanner, perfect for scanning negative films
Negative film scanners usually offer high-quality results, both in terms of image quality and film scanning efficiency. This type of scanner usually does not have other functions, such as the ability to scan printed photos. Even so, the price is much more affordable. Therefore, if you want to scan negative film only, this type of scanner is the right choice.
Flatbed scanner, reliable for scanning printed photos
The flatbed type has advantages in sensor accuracy and high image quality. Apart from scanning printed photos, there are also compatible flatbed types for scanning various types of film. Therefore, this product is quite versatile.
You can consider this type if you prioritize image quality and multifunctional products. What’s more, this product has multiple models that can be set at one time so you can work more efficiently.
Sheetfed scanner, practical and efficient for scanning in large quantities
Sheetfed scanner is recommended to make your work more efficient. How come? How to use it more practical. The process of setting and scanning is also more time-efficient. This type of scanner is basically not only for scanning negative films, but also for developing films.
However, it should be noted that not many of its products can be used to scan negatives. In addition, the image quality produced by this type is also not very good. This is because this type tends to prioritize speed over image quality. This product is recommended for those of you who want to scan a large number of photos at one time.
② Check whether the color correction and focus adjustment functions are present
Color correction and focus adjustment are necessary features if you want to scan photos with good results. For those of you who are not good at using electronic devices, check this feature on the film scanner you want to buy.
Also, when you are operating on your own, we recommend choosing a product that includes software for editing images. This will make it easier for you to adjust color, lighting, and focus. In fact, if you are a beginner, you don’t need to worry about using it.
③ Also pay attention to the type of negative film that is compatible
When choosing a photo scanner, you need to make sure the product is suitable for the type of film you are using. Film cameras generally use 35mm film and most photo scanners are compatible with that size. You should pay attention to the type of scanner that is suitable when you use negative film, for example Brownie or 4×5 film.
④ Consider a photo scanner that has an SD card slot
Photo scanners have two types of storage, namely the type that must be connected to a computer and the type that uses an SD card. Scanners that can save data directly to the SD card can be used more easily.
When scanning, you also don’t need to prepare a lot. So, a scanner that has to be connected to a computer will be more of a hassle because it has to be connected first.
10 Best Photo Scanners Recommendation
Next, we will recommend the ten best photo scanners that we have determined based on the selection method above. These products are carefully selected by considering product quality, buyer reviews, and the level of trust in the seller.
1. Epson PerfectionScanner V39
This Epson flatbed scanner is the right choice for those of you who need a photo scanner at an affordable price. This product has an optical resolution of 4,800 DPI which can provide good quality scans.
This scanner is also equipped with Easy Photo Fix Technology which can make your old photos more alive. When finished scanning, you can choose to save the scanned file to your PC or Cloud.
- High resolution photo scan.
- It is equipped with a stand so that it can save space for placement.
- The price is affordable.
- Cannot scan movies.
- Some reviewers said that the built-in photo editing software Consed user-friendliness.
2. Canon LIDE 400
This product is right for those of you who have a variety of photos, drawings, and documents up to A4 size to scan. Apart from supporting multi-page PDF scanning, this Canon scanner can also be used to scan in an upright position, you know.
As a MacOS user, you don’t need to worry either because this product is compatible with this operating system. There’s nothing wrong with having this product if you are looking for a quality scanner with a price range of one million.
- Produces clear, good looking scans.
- Can scan in an upright position.
- Prices are quite affordable and products are easy to use.
- Cannot scan movies.
- Not suitable for professional use.
- The size of the product is large so it is not suitable for traveling.
3. Epson Perfection Photo Scanner V600
This Epson scanner is multifunctional because it can scan photos and negative films. You can also use it to scan large documents. This product has an optical resolution of 6,400 DPI, which is high enough for film scanning and photo printing.
For those of you who want to improve the appearance of old photo collections whose colors have faded, you can choose this scanner. The color restoration feature it brings can make your photos look nicer and brighter. This scanner is also equipped with Digital ICE technology which is able to remove dust and scratches for cleaner scans.
- Great for scanning film and photo prints.
- Able to remove dust and scratches.
- It can also be used to scan documents, books and 3D objects.
- The process of scanning pictures and photos is a bit slow.
- Not compatible with certain operating systems.
- They are big and heavy.
4. Plustek OpticPro A320L
Are you looking for a scanner that doesn’t destroy old files or old photo collections that you have stored? OpticPro A320L from Plustek is worthy of your choice. This product is safe to use for scanning thick paper or important files that you have. Not only that, this product produces accurate colors and high dynamic range.
This scanner is equipped with CCD technology which makes the image quality sharper and ideal for photo settings. However, it’s a shame if you use this scanner just a few times because it’s expensive. This product will be more suitable if you use it regularly, especially for business or professional purposes.
- Can scan photos with a maximum field size of 12″ × 17″.
- Perfect for scanning photo albums, scrapbooks, and graphic design work.
- Produces sharp, clear scans.
- Cannot scan movies.
- The price is expensive so it is more suitable for business or professional use.
5. iScan Portable Full Color Scanner 1050 DPI 02
This scanner has a portable and stylish design so it fits anywhere. This product will be suitable for those of you who have high work mobility. The ability to scan it is also quite adequate with a resolution of up to 1,050 DPI.
Apart from photos, you can also use this product to scan documents and book pages that you read while traveling. Very efficient, right?
- The design is simple so it is suitable for traveling.
- Can be charged and available in variants equipped with WiFi technology.
- Easy to use and setup.
- Cannot scan movies.
- Scans are prone to looking skewed and untidy if the hand is unsteady while scanning.
- Not suitable for professional scanning.
6. Kodak SCANZA Digital Film Scanner
If you are looking for a practical and compact film roll scan tool from a well-known brand, you can consider this product. The main advantage of this product is that it can scan films in various sizes.
Whether it’s negatives or slides, you can scan them with this Kodak product. Regarding the storage process, you can save it immediately or adjust the resolution and RGB first for better results.
- Can scan negatives and slides of various sizes.
- The scanning process is fast and there are resolution and RGB settings.
- Equipped with a 3.4-inch LCD screen to make it easier to check and adjust photos.
- Not suitable for those of you who prioritize color sharpness in photos.
- Film holders are only made of ordinary plastic and are not strong enough, so you have to be careful when using them.
7. Plusteke Photo Z300
The Plustek ePhoto Z300 scanner is easy for beginners to use. For those of you who want to digitize your old photos, this product is good enough. However, since it only has a 600 DPI resolution, you can’t expect high-quality scans.
Instead, you can quickly scan your printed photos. This product will automatically scan photos as soon as the photos are inserted into the scanner. Plustek claims that this scanner can scan 4″ × 6″ photos in just two seconds. That way, you don’t have to waste a lot of time.
- Can scan photos quickly, in just seconds.
- How to use it is very simple.
- Accompanied by easy-to-use photo editing software.
- The scan quality is only 600 DPI so it is not suitable for those of you who want detailed and rich scans.
- Cannot scan movies.
8. Epson Perfection Pro Flatbed Photo Scanner V850
The many features for scanning films and photos make the Epson V850 recommended for those of you who are in the world of professional photography. This Epson product provides good detailed colors for archiving photos and documents.
This scanner also has a resolution of up to 6,400 DPI, 4.0 Dmax, and a very innovative dual lens scanning system. This way, you can get excellent scans when scanning both regular and medium format slides and negatives.
- Professional level photo quality.
- Complete with 35mm film holder, medium format film, and wide format film.
- The included software is very supportive to produce high-quality scans.
- The price is expensive so it is more suitable for professional purposes.
- They are big and heavy.
9. Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai
This film scanner is equipped with iSDR which can detect and remove scratches and dust on the surface of film negatives and slides. Despite the high price, this product offers a high resolution of up to 7,200 DPI so it’s worth the results you will get. This product is also accompanied by default software, namely SilverFast Ai Studio 8.
That way, you can preview, adjust settings, and save scanned data without the need for additional applications. Because it has a more complicated operation, this scanner is more suitable for advanced users. OpticFilm 8200i Ai is also suitable for those of you who want scanned photos with good final results.
- Produces excellent scanned photo quality.
- Equipped with a qualified photo management software.
- The construction of the scanner and film holders is sturdy.
- Only supports 35 mm film.
10. Portable Negative Film Scanner EC718
With this EC718 film scanner, you can edit scanned photos with default settings. This product is light in weight and mini in size so it doesn’t take up much space. If you like a practical film scanner with a limited budget, you can try this product.
It doesn’t matter if you are not near your laptop or computer. This negative film scan tool is equipped with an SD card slot that allows you to save scanned photos directly. For even better results, you can edit it again in your favorite photo editing software.
- Can be used to scan 35 mm negatives, monochrome, and slides.
- Can be connected with PC, TV, and SD card /MMC.
- The price is more affordable than other negative film scanners.
- Some reviewers say that this scanner is more optimal and good for scanning portrait bCons and white films.
- Color photos require further editing for more satisfying results.
Common Questions About Photo Scanners
After discussing tips on choosing and recommending products, we will answer popular questions about photo scanners. Come on, listen to find out the answer.
How to scan negative film using a cellphone?
You can scan negative film by photographing it under bright and stable light for maximum results. Next, you need to adjust the color effect, brightness level, contrast, and temperature as natural as you want through an image editing application. You can also use the Photo Negative Scanner application which you can find in the Play Store or App Store.
It’s getting harder and harder to find places that provide negative film photo printing services. A photo scanner can be the right solution if you still have old photos, negatives, and slides stored.
With photo scanners, you can convert your photo format to digital more concisely. So, after reading this article, we hope you can find the photo scanner you want. Happy choosing!
5 Best Photo Scanner Recommendations
- Epson ｜Perfection Scanner ｜V39
- Canon ｜LiDE 400
- Epson ｜Perfection Photo Scanner ｜V600
- Plustek ｜OpticPro ｜A320L
- iScan ｜Portable Full Color Scanner 1050 DPI ｜02